Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Sparked by the CEV

Yesterday The Krow blogged on some spiritual lessons sparked by reading a verse in a newly acquired CEV.

When was the last time something was sparked within you by a wording from a Bible version? Which version was it? What verse?

Happy Thanksgiving to our American blog visitors. I have so many things to be thankful for. This year I am especially thankful that we could move to live in the same city with children and grandchildren. Next month our son will move here also, with his family.

And I am thankful for many translations of the Bible into English. I am especially thankful for the Bible versions that are translated into the form of English that is my heart language, that which I write and speak. It is this kind of English in Bibles that sparks things within me, as they did within The Krow.

Categories: , ,

2 Comments:

At Thu Nov 24, 02:41:00 PM, Blogger Paul W said...

Wayne,

I personally think the HCSB rendering of John 3:16 is outstanding. It breaks new ground and when I heard it in audio it was as if I heard this passage (which had become boring through familiarity) for the first time.

 
At Thu Nov 24, 03:18:00 PM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Paul said:

I personally think the HCSB rendering of John 3:16 is outstanding.

I agree, Paul, the HCSB wording is good:

"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life"

Another version that similarly makes clear the manner sense of Greek outos (rather than the sense of degree which we have often gotten from the traditional renderings) is ISV:

"For this is how God loved the world: He gave his unique Son so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but have eternal life."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home