Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Monday, December 19, 2005

The Lesser of Two Weevils

I don't believe that Talmida's blog, The Lesser of Two Weevils, has been mentioned yet. She has been writing about learning Biblical Hebrew for a couple of years now. This is from her post,

Why Hebrew and How?

I started online at a place called Starting with Aleph. You can still learn the first lesson for free, but 2 years ago, all 4 of the lessons were available gratis. I learned a little midrash, and the letters and sounds of all the consonants and the vowels. I learned a simple vocabulary of about 50 words. It is an excellent course.

I loved it. After 2 or 3 months, my Beloved wandered down to our local University and bought me a beginner's Biblical Hebrew textbook which he gave me for Christmas. I started the lessons, slowly acquiring lexicons, and grammars, and Hebrew Bibles. And I learned how to read Biblical Hebrew. I struggled through loading the Hebrew package into my Windows XP and into MS Office. I learned a new keyboard. I discovered Hebrew fonts.


Recently I have read a few of her posts that compare Bible translations including the LXX, Latin Vulgate, Douay-Rheims and the Judaic Press Complete Tanach among others. I would like to mention the following posts and cannot do them justice by quoting bits and pieces. However, the titles speak for themselves.

Mary and Hannah - Exultation and Magnification

Genesis 3:15: who is crushing the snake?
Isaiah 40:3, a voice cries out... and my personal favourite
The power of the Word

Since my husband and I are Patrick O'Brien fans, I like the title of your blog, Talmida. You have some great resources in your sidebar as well.

5 Comments:

At Tue Dec 20, 08:15:00 AM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Actually, I have mentioned Talmida's blog a few times, but it deserves more mention. Thanks for giving it this good post, Suzanne.

 
At Tue Dec 20, 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Well, mmm, I couldn't remember - and couldn't find a link to her blog because I was looking under 'L' for 'Lesser', instead of under 'T' for 'The'.

 
At Tue Dec 20, 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Talmida said...

Thank you very much! What a nice post!

:)

 
At Tue Dec 20, 02:12:00 PM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Here's a link for a previous BBB post linking to Talmida's blog:

http://englishbibles.blogspot.com/2005/07/translating-hebrew-hesed.html

To find it I typed "Talmida" in the little white search window at the upper left of the blog page. Then I clicked on "SEARCH THIS BLOG." Voilá!

 
At Tue Dec 20, 10:14:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Ah, yes, summertime, that explains it. I forgot to do the search. I love that search feature and should use it more often.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home