Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

90 year old clarity

Today is my father-in-law's 90th birthday. I honor him and my mother-in-law who turned 89 a few days ago. This last weekend my wife and I drove to Eugene, OR, to help her parents celebrate their birthdays. It was a good time. My parents-in-law are godly people, not perfect--they have their flaws--but godly. They were missionaries in Mexico for 30 years, then pastored in the U.S. after their missionary work. Mom taught music and founded one or two music schools. Dad taught Bible. Later they moved from southern Mexico to Mexico City where Dad taught Hebrew and Greek in a seminary.

They are people of the Word and prayer. They have Bibles lying around their living room where they now sit much of the time since they are not as mobile as they used to be and Mom needs Dad to be around all the time. On this visit I noticed several copies of the New Living Translation in their living room. I asked Dad, the Bible scholar, Biblical languages professor, what he thought of the NLT. He said, "It's clear." I agree. Wise words from 90 years of hearing, studying, teaching, and preaching from the Bible. If I make it to 90, I hope I can be that wise.

God bless you, Dad. And you, too, Mom. Thanks for raising such a special woman to be my wife.

2 Comments:

At Thu Mar 30, 07:09:00 AM, Blogger David Ker said...

Happy Birthday, Pop!

I had an interesting experience with NLT and NIV yesterday. I was checking the Nyungwe translation and using the NLT as reference, but I kept having trouble "seeing the Greek" behind the translation. So I had to switch to NIV. It was formal enough to remind me of the Greek behind the translation. I'm not making a value judgment of either translation. I guess I'm just saying that different translations serve different purposes. NLT is a great translation for liturgical and even devotional use. I hope it continues to find acceptance.

 
At Thu Mar 30, 10:25:00 PM, Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Amen Wayne! And blessings on them!

Ted

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home