Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Ekklesia and Kerux

I am looking forward to someone else continuing the discussion on translation philosphy. However, I wanted to slip in a plug for Kenny Pearce in Greece who has posted on the words εκκλεσια and κερυξ. I still have trouble considering any Bible version with the word 'church' in it as a 'literal' version.

4 Comments:

At Thu Apr 13, 03:41:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Hi Steb,

Most of the time I just copy and paste from a source like Zhubert.com. I also use the Windows polytonic Greek keyboard which I installed as part of my language support. However, this is a nifty online keyboard. Usually if I am keyboarding Greek I use only the basic letters without any diacritics at all because they don't show the same in every browser. Hope this helps.

 
At Thu Apr 13, 04:25:00 PM, Blogger Mike Sangrey said...

For quite sometime I've thought that the best translation of 'church' into koine Greek is the word SUNAGWGH.

I remember being surprised when I learned that religions comprised by other than Jews used SUNAGWGH to refer to their gatherings. I had, just like everyone else, thought of synagogue as a Jewish term only, and I had therefore wrongly connected the referent of the English term to the Greek term.

EKKLHSIA was the more secular term. As a Western, Evangelical Christian, it took a little while to get my mind around that.

 
At Thu Apr 13, 11:08:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

I remember being amazed that the Gothic has gequmths(?) (versammlung, or zusammenkunft) 'meeting' for συναγωγη, and Luther has schule 'school'.

Also εκκλησια could be understood as the Greek for qahal. 'cpnvocation' or 'assembly' in the LXX. It all seems worth more study.

 
At Mon Apr 17, 02:08:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Another reason to study the LXX, I guess.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home