Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Friday, July 28, 2006

TNIV video

Yesterday I watched, for the first time, a video about Bible translation and the TNIV. I found it well made and interesting. There were several clips from various members of the CBT (Committee on Bible Translation) which translated the TNIV. A few specific examples of revisions made to the TNIV were discussed. I'm guessing that even people who do not like the TNIV would find much to like in this video, especially the background information about how Bible translation is done, which is quite similar from one English Bible translation project to another.

For some reason I was not able to view the video using Windows Media Player. When I tried to do so, I got strange characters on my screen (not CBT characters!), and my Internet browser froze up. But everything worked fine when I accessed the Real Media version of the video. I think you pretty much need a high speed Internet connection to view this video.

1 Comments:

At Fri Jul 28, 08:42:00 AM, Blogger R. Mansfield said...

Coincidentally, Wayne, I watched this same video a few days ago for the first time myself. You're right--it is very good, and I'm glad they still have it available although I would guess it's been around since the initial launch of the TNIV.

Speaking of which, I'm mildly concerned that there have been no real updates to the TNIV.info website in months. I would encourage everyone to click on the contact link on that site and send your support (if you support the TNIV). I've tried to encourage them to restart the blog which has been silent now for seven months. I've sent them a number of ideas to blog about, and have done everything but offer to take over the blog myself.

Back to Wayne's blog entry...there's another interesting video on the internet about the Renovaré Spiritual Formations Bible. Obviously, this is a video about an edition and not a translation, but it still makes interesting viewing nonetheless. Some of it is simply promotional, but the video features folks like Foster, Willard, and Peterson describing the decisions made in developing the Spiritual Formations Bible. Also, they discuss the justification and value of the Apocrypha, even for Protestants.

Here's the URL for the video: http://www.gsapictures.com/harper/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home