Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

On Translations of the Bible

Rob Bradshaw at BiblicalStudies.org.uk recently uploaded an interesting lecture by H.F.D. Sparks, "On Translations of the Bible." Professor Sparks introduces us in a very personal way to translation issues over British and American revisions to the KJV (AV). The pdf download from Rob's blog is free.

4 Comments:

At Wed Aug 16, 09:32:00 AM, Blogger anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Wed Aug 16, 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

seem perliously close to anti-Semitism

I'm glad you caught that and wrote about it. Typical of me, I was so limited on time that I only skimmed Sparks' article and missed a good deal. There should be no room for anti-Semitism in Bible translations.

 
At Thu Aug 17, 05:08:00 AM, Blogger anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Thu Aug 17, 09:23:00 AM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Matthew concluded:

Is it good to consult other Bibles? Absolutely, but I am not so ignorant as to suggest that it is not a built in desire of a majority of individuals to identify most closely with a particular translation.

I agree, Matthew. I confess to finding myself "floating" some for several years because I have not personally settled on a single Bible that I use for my main version.

I think your comments point out an important social motivation that people have, solidarity, fitting in, group-ness. Like every human motivation, it can be taken to excess, but it can also be used for good.

At this time, I don't see any contemporary English version gaining the "standard" status that the KJV enjoyed for so long. But individual faith communities, at least, can have their own standard version.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home