Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Friday, August 17, 2007

My Bible Translation Resources

To continue on from the audio resources I mentioned in the last post, I thought I would post those resources which I use on the BBB regularly. I only use free web-based resources. This is not a conscious decision but has simply evolved. I am not familiar with Bible software and started using Greek on the internet in the classical Greek context originally.

Bible Translations

BibleGateway is usually my first stop where I look at a phrase, chapter of verse in the KJV and a few other translations. I used to have a link to a KJ facsimile version with original notes but that has recently disappeared. If anyone else knows of one I would like to have that again. BibleGateway has translations in many other languages as well.

Studylight has many more English translations that BibleGateway, but doesn't show paragraph formatting. Most historic versions are available through Studylight.

Online Translations of the Bible has links to some other lesser known Bibles.

The Unbound Bible where you can display multiple historic versions at once.

The Bible Tool is also an excellent resource with the German Schlacter Bible.

The Bible Bureau maintained by Sylvanus is a delight with 110 translations!

Other Bibles which I consult from time to time are the Gothic, Olivétan, Source, NETS (Septuagint) etc. and the Geneva Bible with Footnotes .

Greek and Hebrew Text

Zhubert has the Septuagint and New Testament critical Greek text, as well as a lot of parsing and lexical support. I haven't used these features but they seem incredibly convenient and comprehensive. Please read the last entry at Zhubert. I would hate to lose his valuable site as a resource.


A Hebrew-English Bible has a parallel Hebrew text with JPS 1917 translation with mp3 files. These are the ones recommended by Iyov.

Audio Files

Greek

Hebrew

Lexicons and lexical support

Perseus Digital Library has the full Liddell Scott Lexicon

Bible.org has the Neχt Bible which I have used occasionally. The NET Bible also has good textual critical notes.

Keyboards

I usually cut and paste but that isn't always possible if changing a form or quoting from an extra-Biblical source. I typically would use the Greek and Hebrew keyboards bundled with Windows, but in a pinch there are online keyboards available for use at an internet café, for example.

Greek

Hebrew

Transliteration

Hebrew Auto-transliterate is a nifty little tool which turns Hebrew into highly readable Roman script. Here is an example.
b'reshit, bara elohim, et hashamayim, v''et ha'aretz. What say you? I have not yet found the Hebrew scriptures already transliterated but there are many times when I feel I would like the transliteration to discuss certain features in the Hebrew text.

Manuscripts

P46 Index

Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts

Well, that's it folks. Other than this I use Google like everyone else and if that fails Iyov has been known to put the full text of a translation, like the Durham Gospels, into the comment zone. It is much appreciated. He is in touch with a lot of electronic resources.

Of course, I use books a great deal and tend to invest money that way rather than in software at this point. Please suggest other favourite resources which you use. I am always open to learning something new. I know there are many other sites out there with resource lists like Chris's and Mark's but these things can be very custom-fit as we all have our own quirks. So this is my list. What do you consider indispensable.

5 Comments:

At Fri Aug 17, 06:00:00 PM, Blogger Bob MacDonald said...

I use blueletterbible.org and scripture4all.org and mechon-mamre as you point out. Thanks for your list.

 
At Fri Aug 17, 06:04:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Suzanne,

A transliterated version of the Hebrew Bible can be found at: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/tan/index.htm The advantage over your current resource is that it follows what I would consider the standard for transliteration. Don't know if this will come out, but here's Gen 1:1

bərē’šîṯ bārā’ ’ĕlōhîm ’ēṯ haššāmayim wə’ēṯ hā’āreṣ:

 
At Fri Aug 17, 08:35:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

Damian,

That is fabulous. When I first started looking for a transliteration scheme I was using IE 6 which has significant display limitations. I wonder if Bob, who I think uses IE 6 can see all of the text which you posted. Naturally I want something everyone can see. I would appreciate comments from anyone who uses a browser that has difficulty with the text Damian posted.

Bob,

I am not familiar with those two resources. I actually had to avert my eyes when I looked at the interlinear. I have never used one and I find the imposition on the brain to line up a word in English with a word in Greek creates enormous cognitive dissonance. I did not ever use an English translation in language learning and an not used to thinking of two languages in that way. I am used to thinking of them as two separate language systems. I think this explains a lot of the trouble I have understanding where other people are at with Bible translations. I really do experience it differently . If I were teaching Greek I would not allow interlinears. Just my thoughts.

 
At Sun Aug 19, 05:24:00 PM, Blogger Sylvanus said...

Thank you Suzanne for your faithfulness.

Although silent, I often come here and have learnt a lot from your writings.

I intend on adding more Versions in the new 'Various Other Versions' section, and most likely Dan's 'Better Life Bible', and maybe other languages too :)

Yours always.
Sylvanus

 
At Fri Aug 31, 09:47:00 AM, Blogger Bob MacDonald said...

Suzanne - yes I am using IE6 on my home computer and I can't see some of the transliteration but - it will change especially if I do something about it. :)

I think I agree with you about interlinears but they have been useful bootstraps for me - the idea of reading in two directions at once is of course horrible unless you are looking for shape as I currently am doing. If I grow out of something, I need to beware that others also have to grow and we all choose our own methods. As I grow accustomed to something, I need to be aware that I am stultifying myself - I have some motivation to avoid this!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home