Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Books of the Bible: TNIV

Here is a nice post about The Books of the Bible. I especially appreciated this comment.
    I remember one of my professors, Bill Murray (who had doctorates in both Greek and Hebrew) telling us about how most of the people who had issues with the TNIV had little or no understanding of Greek or Hebrew. From what I understood from him (i could be completely misrepresenting him), its not too different from the NIV, it even clears up a few things that the NIV chokes on, and, if its of any interest, he made it clear that he thinks the NIV is a superior translation of the Hebrew than most of the other mainstream translations (NASB/ESV).

    The bigger point that I was trying to make there is that there was a fairly large controversy surrounding the tNIV, but there weren’t many language scholars involved in the debate. Otherwise, though, this seems like a cool idea. If I had nine dollars to spend, i’d get one right now.

Its just a comment thrown into the blogosphere, hardly fair to copy it but I have. Does anyone know who the Bill Murray is that he is referring to?

4 Comments:

At Mon Jan 21, 10:16:00 PM, Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Suzanne, I don't think it's Bill Murray the comedian. It might be this Bill Murray. (Everything I know I learned by googling! This one was not easy to find.)

 
At Wed Jan 23, 07:25:00 AM, Blogger Iris Godfrey said...

I am using "Books of the Bible: TNIV" for my daily reading and finding it delightful. I am able to read lengthly passages and enjoy and stay engaged. I have not adopted the 100 days program at this point as I was already half way through the Bible when I received the book. But it is making it easy to read through rather quickly and very enjoyably. It is also my first exposure to the TNIV and I am enjoying that as well.
Blessings.

 
At Fri Jan 25, 05:13:00 PM, Blogger tcrob said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Fri Jan 25, 05:16:00 PM, Blogger tcrob said...

Yes, the TNIV is an improvement of the NIV, and yes, it is a great translation.

But I still like my NASB, despite its weaknesses.

And for someone who reads the NASB, to say it's to awkward a read, I find to be an overstatement.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home