Better Bibles Blog has moved. Read our last post, below, and then
click here if you are not redirected to our new location within 60 seconds.
Please Bookmark our new location and update blogrolls.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The upper case

Just to continue the theme of upper case letters for a little longer, here are examples from the two extremes. I can't say that one is interpretive and the other isn't. However, one can see how the choice of whether to use upper case or not could well be doctrinally motivated.

We can't really have the same experience as those who read this in the original language. Having upper case letters means one thing and not having them means something else.
    Judges 9:13

    But the vine said to them, "Shall I stop producing my wine that cheers gods and mortals, and go to sway over the trees?' NRSV

    But the vine said to them, 'Shall I leave my wine that cheers God and men and go hold sway over the trees?' ESV

    Psalm 110:1

    The Lord says to my lord, "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool." NRSV

    The Lord says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool." ESV

    Ps. 2:2

    The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and his anointed, saying, NRSV

    The kings of the earth set themselves,
    and the rulers take counsel together,
    against the LORD and against his Anointed, saying, ESV

    Is. 63:10

    But they rebelled and grieved his holy spirit; therefore he became their enemy; he himself fought against them.

    But they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit; therefore he turned to be their enemy, and himself fought against them. ESV


HT: Claude Mariottini for a great post on whether God drinks wine.

1 Comments:

At Fri Mar 28, 11:01:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Claude Mariottini said...

Suzanne,

Thank you for the link to my post. The problem with using the upper case in biblical passages is that many times the use of upper case is caused by doctrinal resuppositions. You mentioned a few cases where this problem exists, but there are many more.

I may come to this issue at a later time. Right now I am on abbatical, doing research for a book and my time does not allow me to spend much time doing research for the blog. I will collect some other cases and in the near future I will write a post on this issue.

Claude Mariottini

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home